Tuesday 12th January 2021.
January 12, 2021
We link up with our Feisty Foodie Sara, who takes a look at Australian food… Quite a challenge!
Believe it or not the recipe for today from Australia. “Chicken Parmigiana” or the Aussie equivalent. Which seems to look a lot like the Italian one.
Crispy Chicken Parmesan
For The Chicken:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- 3 large chicken breasts halved horizontally to make 6 fillets
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup canola oil for frying
For The Sauce (if you don’t have store bought)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 14 ounces (400 g) pureed tomato
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
For The Topping:
- 8 ounces (250 g) mozzarella cheese sliced or shredded
- 1/3 cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil or parsley
For The Chicken:
- Preheat oven 430°F | 220°C. Lightly grease an oven tray (or baking dish) with non stick cooking oil spray; set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Add chicken into the egg, rotating to evenly coat each fillet in the mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate for at least 15-60 minutes.
- When chicken is ready for cooking, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder together in a separate shallow bowl. Dip chicken into the breadcrumb mixture to evenly coat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering. Fry chicken until golden and crispy, (about 4-5 minutes each side).
- Place chicken on prepared baking tray / dish and top each breast with about 1/3 cup of sauce (sauce recipe below). Top each chicken breast with 2-3 slices of mozzarella cheese and about 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with basil or parsley.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and melted, and the chicken is completely cooked through.
For The Sauce:
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot. Fry onion until transparent (about 3 minutes), then add the garlic until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add the tomato puree, salt and pepper to taste, Italian herbs and sugar (If using). Cover with lid to simmer for about 8 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly. Taste test and adjust salt and pepper, if needed.
If you use store bought, add some fresh basil, parsley, garlic and oregano for more homemade flavour.
Shrimp on the Barbie!
- 2 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined, tail on
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried dill (optional)
- pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 lemon cut into wedges, for serving
- fresh parsley (chopped) for garnish
- Non-stick spray
- Heat an outdoor BBQ for a medium-hot fire or a stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat. If your grill has wide slots, use a grill pan or wok with small holes so the shrimp don’t fall through (or thread the shrimp onto metal skewers). Spray with Pam or non-stick spray
- Place the shrimp in a large bowl and drizzle on the olive oil. Toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, paprika, dill, and cayenne. Sprinkle this mixture generously on the shrimp, tossing to coat.
- Cook the shrimp on the grill over direct heat or on the grill pan until pink and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side until curled and translucent.
- Transfer to a platter. Drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with parsley, and serve with lemon wedges.
Alternatively, you could marinate the shrimp in Peri Peri sauce for 15 minutes and then throw them on the barbie