Tuesday 10th September 2019. Festival of Piano and 60’s/70’s food with Sara.
September 10, 2019
The 2nd Festival of Piano is taking place from the 23rd through to the 30th of September. With us this morning to talk about it is Margarita de Troetsch, Maria Ines Rodriguez and pianist extrodinaire David Garcia.
Feisty Foodie Sara Solomon from Solomon’s Deli takes a look back at some of the foods that we ate in the 60’s and 70’s, did we really eat Salads encased in gelatin? Ugh!
But here is Sara’s recipe for French Onion Dip
- 3 yellow onions (medium size)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped, for garnishing (optional)
- Potato chips or fresh veggies for serving
- Peel onions and cut in half, then thinly slice.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions and sprinkle with salt and sugar. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. If they start to burn, reduce heat to medium. Pour the wine over the onions in 3 parts. Let it sizzle and cookout each time before pouring in more, and stir in-between. Cook for another 30 minutes until onions are soft and a rich golden brown color.
- Let onions cool slightly then transfer to a cutting board and roughly chop into small pieces.
- Add sour cream, cream cheese, onions, soy sauce, and Worcestershire (you can also add a small handful of chopped parsley) to a large bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the dip together on medium-high until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Garnish with parsley (optional).
- Chill in the refrigerator and serve with your favorite potato chips! I like ripples because they’re sturdy.
- Instead of slicing the onions, you can alternatively dice them prior to caramelizing. If you chop them after they’re cooked, the chunks of onion will vary more in size.
- The wine I recommend is a pinot grigio, but any white wine will do. It’s simply to keep the onions from drying out. Alternatively, you can use chicken or vegetable broth.
The Cabinet Council approved the budget for the term of 2020 for an amount of 23 thousand 316 million dollars, a decrease of about 200 million dollars compared to the draft budget left by the last administration for the year 2019.
The Government will issue a resolution to “expand the information” contained in resolution No. 69 of August 2019 of the Cabinet that equates work experience to academic degrees when hiring officials.
As of Monday, some 14 people have submitted their documentation as interested in the vacant positions of magistrates in the Supreme Court of Justice.
The Public Prosecutor and the complainants in the case of the wiretapping supported in writing the appeal for annulment with concurrence of grounds of cassation, against the judgment of the Court of Judgment that declared former President Ricardo Martinelli not guilty of the crimes of peculation and political espionage.
This Monday, September 9, began the transition process in the Social Security Fund (CSS).
The National Border Service (Senafront) reported on Monday, September 9, that it intercepted people who were transporting three sacks with alleged illicit substances and firearms, in the Icuanatí area, next to the community of Nuevo Vigía, in the Emberá region Wounaan, Darien.
So far, 10 people are being held after the Public Ministry (MP) reported last week that it dismantled a network that was supposedly dedicated to child pornography. The results of this operation resulted in arrests in: Juan Díaz, San Miguelito, Los Santos, Panama Oeste, Coclé and Chiriquí. During the raids, thousands of compact discs were found, in addition to USB devices and central processing units.