Tuesday 13th April 2021.
April 13, 2021
Time of the week to take that trip into the kitchen with Feisty Foodie Sara Solomon. This week she has a recipe for artichokes and a cocktail to accompany it!
Marinated and Grilled Artichokes
4 large artichokes (Green globe, if available)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
Kosher salt and pepper
- Steaming: This can be done in advance to save time. Steamed artichokes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To trim for steaming: Cut stem of artichoke.
- Cut 1/3 of top off artichoke off, discard. Clip off tips of each leaf with scissors.
- Stand artichokes in steamer basket with 3 inches of water, cover and boil until fork tender at base, about 25 to 40 minutes depending on size.
- Marinating: Split cooked artichokes lengthwise, scoop out “choke” (fuzzy center). Mix oil, balsamic, garlic, rosemary, parsley, lemon juice and salt and pepper, in the bottom of glass baking dish. Place artichokes, cut side down, in marinade. Cover and refrigerate until ready to grill, up to a day, minimum of 1 hour.
- Grilling: Remove artichokes from marinade, save marinade for basting, place artichokes on hot grill cut side up and cook until deep golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Brush with marinade and turn to cook other side until deep golden brown, brush again with marinade. Serve hot or at room temperature with Lemon-Garlic Aioli with Parsley below.
Lemon-Garlic Aioli with Parsley
1 cup best-quality mayonnaise (I like Hellman’s)
1 clove garlic, crushed
2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
1 tsp fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Add the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, and zest to a blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Granulated sugar, for rimming
- Lemon wedge, for rimming
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 1 lemon
- 1/2 to 3/4 ounce simple syrup, to taste
- Lemon twist, garnish
Rim a cocktail glass or Martini glass with sugar. In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the vodka, lemon juice, and simple syrup. Shake well and strain into the glass. Garnish with a lemon twist and enjoy!