Tuesday 19th October 2021.
October 19, 2021
Wonderful to have back in the studio Monalisa and Rodrigo. We catch up on how they have been coping during the lockdown, like many artists it has been a time of reflection on their work and how to move on. In the case of Monalisa and Rodrigo this has resulted in more time and involvement in production and by the new release “Sin Regreso” this has paid off.
And Feisty Foodies Sara is back with us this week… Avacado’s are in season and that is what is this weeks inspiration… “We’ve already talked about my guacamole recipe (more than once) lol, so let’s give people some versatility! No avocado themed showed would be complete without a delicious The Best Avocado Smashed Toast. I love runny yolk egg on an avocado toast, but this is optional and up to you! There are also a couple of options for how to prepare the eggs…over easy, sunny side up, soft boiled, poached or even scrambled! I thought we could cover some crispy Avocado Fries with both an Air Fryer and oven options. We’re going to partner this with a super simple Buffalo Ranch Sauce. Our next recipe is a perfect breakfast or snack…a Creamy Tropical Avocado Smoothie. I’ve added a few different suggestions to play around with this recipe! Unfortunately, none of them are adding alcohol, so I thought we’d try spice things up with a Spicy Mint Avocado Margarita!
The Best Smashed Avocado Toast
2 large Perfectly Ripe Avocados, pitted & roughly diced (can sub 3 medium or 4 small avos)
1/2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
Black Pepper to taste
2 large slices of Sourdough Bread
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, as needed
1/2 cup Feta, crumbled
16 Vined Cherry Tomatoes, to serve (4 on each vine)
8 slices Bacon, cooked to preference
3 small Radishes, very finely sliced
3 tbsp Pumpkin Seeds, can sub sunflower seeds
4 pinches of Watercress or alfalpha sprouts
4 Eggs, poached (or cooked to your preference)
1 tsp white vinegar (if poaching the eggs)
Sprinkle of Toasted Sesame Seeds, to garnish egg (optional) (Everything seasoning would also be great)
Drizzle tomatoes with a little oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper, then place in the oven at 400F for around 10-15 minutes, or until the skin begins to wilt. Meanwhile, in a bowl combine avocado with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Lightly smash with a fork. Place to one side.
Brush both sides of the sourdough with oil then place in a scorching hot griddle pan until little charred on both sides. Can broil under the grill if you’d prefer.
Bring a pot of water to a very gentle simmer and add a splash of white vinegar. Crack the eggs into a small bowla or ramekin indidually. When water is gently boiling, swirl with a spoon and then gently lower in the egg. Quickly repeat with the other eggs. Cook for 2 ½ – 3 ½ minutes until slightly firm but still with a visibly runny yolk. Drain with your ladle and place on paper towel to absorb unwanted water (or in an ice bath to stop the cooking process – this will cool the egg a bit).
Build the toast in the following order – toast, avocado, bacon, radish, feta, seeds, watercress, egg and a sprinkle of sesame seeds or everything seasoning (if using).
Toast – I always go for Sourdough, but whatever you choose make sure it’s a nice, thick slice.
Smashed Avo – As discussed, lightly smashed, with lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, s&p.
Bacon – I like it crispy
Feta – One of my favourite cheeses that goes nicely with avocado. Also adds a nice saltiness to the dish. Substitutes for this could be halloumi (more salty) or ricotta (less salty)
Radish – Adds a nice sweet and slightly peppery flavour, alongside a crunchy texture. No subs for this, just leave out if you don’t have it.
Pumpkin Seeds – Adds a nutty flavour and little crunch. Can sub sunflower seeds or leave out.
Water cress – Finishes the dish. Can sub any other micro salad i.e pea shoots.
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes – These are a must to serve alongside! Adds a nice bit of sweetness to the dish.
Avocado Fries (with Air Fryer and oven options)
3 avocados, peeled and sliced
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup flour of choice
¼ tsp dark chili powder
¼ tsp hot paprika
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp kosher salt
Avocado oil spray
Simple Buffalo Ranch dip:
½ cup Ranch dressing
¼ cup Frank’s hot sauce
Mix in a bowl until well blended
- In a small dish add the flour, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and kosher salt. Stir to combine. In another small dish add the egg and beat until frothy. In another dish add the panko breadcrumbs. Set up breaded station
- In an assembly line manner, roll the first avocado slice in the flour (give it a light tap to remove excess flour), then submerge it in the egg wash, followed by the panko bread crumbs. I gently push the panko into the avocado to ensure its evenly coated. Repeat with all of the avocado slices. Season with with kosher salt from high up while hot.
- Lightly grease the air fryer basket with avocado spray, then place the avocado fries with some space in between, then lightly spray the fries with some avocado oil. Air fry on 390F for 7 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until desired crispiness. Depending on the size of your air fryer basket, will depend on how many batches you have to do. [See note below for oven instructions]. Season with with kosher salt from high up while hot.
- Slicing avocado: Cut avocado in half and carefully remove the seed. Then gently insert your thumb in between the skin and flesh to peel the skin off. Place avocado flat side down and cut the avocado into slices.
- Air fryer: Allow air fryer to preheat to 390F, most air fryers do this before you put the food in. If you must do it manually, allow the air fryer to preheat for 4 minutes. Different air fryers can yield different results when it comes to cook time and crispiness of the fries, panko should be golden brown and crisp. May need additional minutes depending on air fryer.
- Oven instructions: Preheat the oven to 425F. Grease baking sheet, place panko breaded avocado fries on baking sheet, spray the top with a little avocado spray. Bake the avocado fries for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until they are golden and crispy. Serve with Buffalo Ranch dipping sauce.
TIPS: Favorite types of dipping sauce for this recipe: buffalo ranch, plain ranch, chipotle aioli, or hot sauce.
Creamy Tropical Avocado Smoothie
- 1/2 cup pineapple, cubed & frozen
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach, or 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 frozen banana
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus 1/2 teaspoon zest
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- 8 ice cubes
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder*, optional
Combine the pineapple, spinach, avocado, banana, coconut milk, lime juice, maple syrup, salt, ice, and protein powder, if using, in a blender. Blend until creamy.
Taste and adjust the sweetness to your liking. If you prefer a sweeter smoothie, add more maple syrup. If the consistency is too thick, add more coconut milk, and blend again
Change up the greens. Replace the spinach with 1/2 cup kale.
Switch the milk. I love the coconut flavor in this avocado smoothie, but if you don’t have coconut milk on hand, almond milk, oat milk, or regular milk would work just fine.
Swap the fruit. Replace the pineapple with an equal amount of frozen mango.
Add herbs. A handful of fresh mint or basil would be delicious.
Make a smoothie bowl. Reduce the coconut milk to make this smoothie extra-thick! Then, top it with chia seeds, hemp seeds, granola, fresh fruit, or nut butter, and eat it with a spoon. You could also top it with chocolate sauce or cacao nibs for dessert!
Spicy Mint Avocado Margarita
1 slice avocado (approximately 2 tablespoons)
4 fresh mint leaves
1 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
2 ounces blanco tequila
1 ounce orange liqueur
1/2 ounce simple syrup
1 pinch salt
Garnish: salt rim
Garnish: mint sprig
- Rim a double rocks glass with salt and set aside.
- Add the avocado, jalapeño, mint and lime juice into a shaker and muddle until the avocado is mashed.
- Add the tequila, orange liqueur, simple syrup and salt.
- Fill the shaker with ice, and shake until well-chilled.
- Strain into the prepared rocks glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with a mint sprig.