Tuesday 22nd June 2021.
June 22, 2021
In the eight o’clock hour this morning we get an update from Dominic Moran who is doing the street mapping for Google Street view. Already there have been over 30 million views.
Fiesty Foodie Sara is back with us for another session in the kitchen, this week? To finish off our month of Italian recipes, we’re going to do coffee and dessert…well, actually coffee desserts and a cocktail! Today we’re going to discuss how to make an Easy Tiramisu! I’ve taken the classic (and harder to make recipe), and offered up an easier but still delicious version for our home cooks! Next we’re going to talk about what will become your favourite simple dessert…an Affogato! This works especially well if you have a little espresso maker at home! Lastly, we’re going to continue our theme and finish off with an Espresso Martini!
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounce container mascarpone cheese ,room temperature
- 1/3 cup fine granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups espresso, chilled
- 3 Tablespoons coffee flavored liqueur, Kahlua
- 1 package Lady Fingers
- Good quality cocoa powder for dusting the top
- Add whipping cream to a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed with electric mixers (or use a stand mixer). Slowly add sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until stiff peaks. Add mascarpone cheese and mix just until combined. Set aside.
- Add coffee and liqueur to a shallow bowl. Dip the lady fingers in the coffee (Don’t soak them–just quickly dip them on both sides to get them wet). TIP: You can use a silicone brush to regulate how wet they are. Lay them in a single layer on the bottom of an 8 x 8” or similar size pan.
- Smooth half of the mascarpone mixture over the top. Add another layer of dipped lady fingers. Smooth remaining mascarpone cream over the top.
- Dust cocoa powder generously over the top (use a fine mesh strainer to do this). Refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours or up to overnight before serving.
NOTE: Tiramisu can be made with or without alcohol. This recipe calls for coffee flavored liqueur because I like that it enhances the coffee flavor, but other options are rum, marsala wine or brandy.
Make ahead and Freezing Instructions:
Tiramisu is even better when made in advance, allowing the flavors to blend! It will keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
To freeze, make completely, but don’t dust with cocoa powder. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and then tinfoil and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and dust with cocoa powder a few hours before serving.
Vanilla ice cream
Dark shaved chocolate
Hazelnuts, chopped and toasted (optional)
Place 2 small scoops of ice cream vanilla in a coffee cup (I suggest glass, if you have), then pour in a shot of espresso or 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee. Top with shaved dark chocolate and chopped hazelnuts.
Options: Try coffee or chocolate ice cream
1 ½ oz of vodka
1 oz hot espresso
2/3 oz coffee liquor (such as Kaulua)
½ tsp – 1 tsp simple syrup (you could add a splash of Bailey’s instead)
1 pinch of salt (optional)
Shake all ingredients in a shaker for 30 seconds (to get a nice crema). Strain into a martini glass and garnish with 3 coffee beans in a flower formation in the center.