Tuesday 22nd October 2019. Feisty Foodie Sara and ideas for a grown up Halloween.
October 22, 2019
It is nearly that time of year, yep, Halloween. Our Feisty Foodie Sara Solomon has some great ideas to an adult Halloween atmosphere…
Since Halloween is on a Thursday, adults who would be inclined to take part in this fun and spooky holiday would probably be celebrating this weekend. If you don’t have something planned already, here are some tips and ideas for throwing together a DIY delicious, fun and creepy get together for a bunch of friends. You don’t need to break the bank or have it take up too much of your time putting it all together. Yummy snacks, boozy drinks, some fun and easy decorations and a creepy movie!
Cheap and Easy Halloween decorations (lighting will be your best friend, get lots of candles and even some old Christmas lights)
- Spiders webs and plastic spiders and bugs for the entrance
- Buy extra spiders and place them in a curvy line around the serving table leading to the punch bowl (and have a few floating in there)
- Lots of black and red candles in different old bottles (light them early, so you get the wax dripping down them (if you don’t have time, use a red crayon and drip red wax down the side). You could even wrap the bottles in gauze to give them a mummy-like effect
- Get black construction paper and some scissors! – Trace your hand and arm (to your elbow (in different poses) and cut out. Tape them to the front of the door, on the fridge door or anywhere else where they would look creepy. You can also draw different bat sizes and paste a swarm of them coming out of a door or hallway
I still love this trend for this Halloween! I did it last year, and I’m going to do them again!
Creepy Pineapples instead of Pumpkins! You can even use the inside for your sangria!
Easy & quick appetizers that will impress Mummy melted brie
1 Sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 round brie
1 large egg
2 mini pepperoni
2 sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a floured work surface, unroll puff pastry and cut into 1” strips. Wrap strips around brie like a mummy.
- Whisk together egg and brush over pastry. Transfer brie to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until brie is warmed through and gooey and puff pastry is deeply golden, 20 minutes.
- For eyes, place two mini pepperonis into two sliced olives. Serve with crackers.
Since you’re going to have leftover puff pastry, pepperoni and sliced olives, and we
don’t want anything going to waste, buy some frozen meatballs and some marinara sauce, and you’ve got Meatball Mummies! If you can’t find frozen meatballs (and don’t want to make them from scratch), buy mini hotdogs and make sausage mummies!
Guacamole being vomited out of a pumpkin is still my go-to Halloween appetizer!
3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
1 lime, juiced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced
In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve. Carve a little pumpkin and place the guac so it looked like it’s being expelled from the pumpkin, Line with blue corn tortilla chips.
Time for Booze!
Bloody Mary Syringes (add some spice from tabasco or horseradish)
I think Tequila is the perfect Halloween liquor, so how about you try this recipe!
Strong and spooky!
Potion de muerto
- 2 oz tequila
- 1/2 oz beet juice
- 3/4 oz fresh orange juice
- 3/4 oz fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 oz agave syrup
- 2 dashes orange bitters
Combine all the ingredients except beet juice in a shaker filled with ice and shake vigorously.
Strain into a highball glass over crushed ice.
Slowly float the beet juice over the ice, allowing the beet juice to make its way down the glass and appear as if blood is dripping through the drink.
Garnish with an orange slice
Note: If you aren’t crazy about beet juice, try using pomegranate syrup. You can also garnish with a blueberry stuffed lychee (for a great eyeball effect).
One of my favorite shots is called a Baby Guinness! You just need Coffee flavored tequila and Baileys. Fill up a shot glass ¾ with the dark brown tequila and using the back of spoon, gently pour about a ¼ inch of Baileys. It actually looks like a baby Guinness and it’s delicious! Now, cue up some perfect scary movies and serve some spicy popcorn for your finale!
The Judicial Branch informed Monday afternoon that at the request of the complaint, the hearing of imputation of the precautionary measures to the official deputy Arquesio Arias would be behind closed doors in the courtroom of the Second Superior Court, in Ancon.
The benches that make up the National Assembly are gathered to reconsider some controversial articles that were approved in the first block of constitutional reforms.
If you are an Edemet or ENSA customer, you may have received a reduction in your electricity billing for the month of September. It is not a discount that the distributor has made in the tariff, but the part that corresponds to a fine imposed by the National Public Services Authority (ASEP) to Empresa de Transmission Eléctrica, SA (Etesa).
Agents from the Caribbean region of the National Border Service (Senafront) apprehended Arnulfo Molina Zapata, who is required by the United States, through Interpol, for the alleged commission of crimes related to drug trafficking.
One year and 7 months after being selected to administer the Amador Convention Center, the SMG company will today receive the order to proceed from the Panama Tourism Authority (ATP) .