Tuesday 26th November 2019. Today with Feisty Foodie Sara, milk and substitutes.
November 26, 2019
It is that time of the week when we take a look at things foodie with Sara Solomon. Today the topic is Milk and substitutes. We try Cashew milk.. Ughh! Oat milk, not so bad, Almond and coconut milk, another Ughh! Had an almost cellulose taste. As long as you are not lactose intolerant.. Stick with the real thing milk, enjoy the others but you don’t need to substitute it for milk.
HOW TO MAKE OAT MILK AT HOME
To make oat milk simply add 1 cup rolled oats + 4 cups water to a high-speed blender and blend on high for 30-45 seconds. Then strain through a clean t-shirt, cheese cloth or towel for best results.
TIPS: You can also optionally add sea salt, a date, vanilla extract, cacao powder, or berries when blending for added flavor How do you make oat milk not slimy?
- Over-blending can make the oat milk slimy in texture, which is why we recommend blending for about 30-45 seconds.
- Soaking your oats can also make the oats more prone to sliminess. Just add to the blender with water and blend!
- Sometimes heating your oat milk can make it become slimy, so we don’t recommend it. Good news: We have an oat milk recipe coming soon that’s inspired by Oatly Barista milk and is perfect for heating / frothing!
- We recommend straining twice to remove any of that excess starch which can also lend to a slimy texture.
- We recommend straining with a towel or clean t-shirt as nut milk bags and fine mesh strainers let too much pulp through.
Can you use steel cut or quick oats to make oat milk?
In our experience, rolled oats are the way to go. Steel cut oats are too unprocessed and make less creamy milk. Rolled oats are just right and make nice and creamy oat milk. And quick cooking oats are too finely processed and tend to create slimier oat milk.
Is oat milk gluten-free?
This can be controversial as some consider even gluten-free oats to be problematic for those with gluten sensitivity and celiac disease. But a certified gluten-free oats make oat milk gluten-free
Why did my oat milk separate?
Separation is totally normal with oat milk and many other dairy-free milks. Simply shake well before use!
President Laurentino Cortizo said yesterday that the Cabinet appointed as chief magistrates for the Supreme Court Justice Maribel Cornejo Batista and Maria Eugenia Lopez Arias as judges in the Criminal Chamber, Carlos Vásquez Reyes as magistrate in the Third court of Administrative Litigation.
The former president of the Republic Ricardo Martinelli filed a criminal complaint against Carlos Herrera Morán, one of the prosecuting lawyers in the case of wiretapping, he is claiming 5 million dollars.
With the issuance of debt placed last week, in just four and a half months, the Government of Laurentino Cortizo has issued $ 3.3 billion of debt, which will swell the outstanding commitments account of the Panamanian State.
The Authority for Consumer Protection and Defense of Competition (Acodeco) sanctioned 377 businesses for failing to grant the due discount to retirees, pensioners and senior citizens, as established by Law 6 of 1987. The value of the fines totaled $ 76 thousand 250.