Tuesday 2nd June 2020.
June 2, 2020
Joining me on the phone this morning in the eight o’clock hour is Garbriela Reyes from Fundacion Costa Recicla. They have got together GEO Azul and ECO Shop to start the Eco Bricks Challenge. Filling your plastic bottles with waste plastics and they will be collected to be used as bricks for building! Click the pic to go to Costa Recicla’s website.
Sara our feisty foodie is with us for our usual weekly chat. Yesterday she dropped off some delicious lemon meringue pie! and I cooked Osso Buco, there is no end to the excitement! We share Sara’s recipe below, do give it a try.
Lemon Meringue Pie
1 short bread pie crust (can be made from scratch as well, if you prefer)
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar, divided
1/3 c. cornstarch
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 c. cold water
4 large eggs, separated
2 tbsp. butter
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 1/4 cups sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt. Gradually stir in cold water until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with a fork. Stir about 1/4 cup of sugar mixture into egg yolks. Gradually stir yolk mixture into remaining sugar mixture in the saucepan. Let cook, stirring constantly, until thick, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, lemon juice, and zest, then pour filling into cooled pie crust.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar by the tablespoon until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon meringue onto hot filling and spread to edge of crust.
- Bake until meringue is golden, 12 minutes. Cool completely, about 1 hour, then refrigerate until filling is set, 3 hours.