Tuesday 30th January 2018. Feisty Foodie Sara….
January 30, 2018
Sara Solomon is back with a bang this week, two cocktails and Superbowl munchies!
Let’s make a gorgeous Canadian Bloody Caesar and our Signature Moscow Mule, the prefect brunch cocktails! And they are also great for the SuperBowl!
Basic Bloody Caesar recipe:
- Rim a highball glass with the juice from the lime wedge and a combination of celery salt and salt
- Add the vodka and Clamato juice
- Season with pepper, Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces to taste
- Stir well
- Garnish with a celery stick
Moscow Mule’s at home:
Moscow mule is a cocktail made with vodka, spicy ginger beer, and lime juice, garnished with a slice or wedge of lime. It is a type of buck and therefore sometimes known as a vodka buck. The Moscow mule is popularly served in a copper mug.
Ingredients: 4 oz Ginger beer, 1 1/2 oz Vodka, 1/6 oz Lime juice
Preparation: Combine vodka and ginger beer in a copper mug or highball glass filled with ice. Add lime juice. Stir gently and garnish with a lime slice.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice.
Drinkware: Copper mug or highball glass
Standard garnish: Lime slice
…so what is Ginger Beer anyway?
For a refreshment so popular, it’s interesting to note how many misconceptions exist about ginger beer. The drink, which originated in the mid-1700s in England, was first known as a fermented alcoholic beverage made from sugar, ginger, water, and a starter culture known as ginger beer plant. But today, the name “ginger beer” is actually a misnomer, as most commercial ginger beer is a soft drink and contains no alcohol.
Great Superbowl Munchies that are easy to do, but make you look like a pro!
- Antipasto platter
- Baked wings
- My favourite 6 layer dip for the health conscious game-day foodie!
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted sliced meats, such as mortadella, Spanish chorizo, salami, prosciutto, serrano ham
- 8 ounces of each assorted cheese, such as Manchego, blue cheese, aged gouda, fresh mozzarella
- Mixed olives
- Assorted sliced bread, such as French, Italian or sourdough
- Assorted crackers
- Assorted dried fruit, such as apricots or cranberries
- Assorted toasted nuts, such as almonds or pistachios
- Assorted fresh fruits, such as grapes or sliced green apples
Marinated cheese cubes make a nice addition: Cube up your favourite cheeses, could be Colby, Aged Cheddar or Manchego. Add them to a mason jar with your favourite vinaigrette and some Kalamata or mixed olives for about 8 hours with a sprig of rosemary and a fresh garlic clove or two. Add a touch of crushed red chili peppers, if you like some heat.
TIP: This recipe also makes a great foodie gift, just wrap the lip with a piece of fabric and a ribbon. And voila!
Oven baked Wings
- 12 whole chicken wings
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place a 6-quart saucepan with a steamer basket and 1-inch of water in the bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
- Remove the tips of the wings and discard or save for making stock. Using kitchen shears, or a knife, separate the wings at the joint. Place the wings into the steamer basket, cover, reduce the heat to medium and steam for 10 minutes. Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry. Lay the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Replace the paper towels with parchment paper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook another 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.
- While the chicken is roasting, melt the butter in a small bowl along with the garlic. Pour this along with hot sauce and salt into a bowl large enough to hold all of the chicken and stir to combine.
- Remove the wings from the oven and transfer to the bowl and toss with the sauce. Serve warm.
Serve with ranch dressing, carrot and celery sticks
Skinnier and healthier 6 layer dip
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili paste or your favorite hot sauce
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ripe avocados, preferably Hass
- Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp cumin
- 5 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups plain nonfat yogurt, preferably Greek
- 2 cups finely shredded romaine lettuce
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes, diced
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, beans and chili paste and heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the beans. Remove from the heat, add 2 tablespoons water and mash until somewhat smooth. Spread on the bottom of your bowl
- Scatter the shredded cheese over the beans
- Halve and pit the avocados; scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mash with 1 teaspoon salt, the lemon juice and a dash of cumin. Spread the avocado over the cheese. (you could also add some finely diced red onion, if you like)
- Pulse the yogurt with the remaining scallions, cilantro and jalapeno in a blender or food processor (reserve some scallions, cilantro and jalapeno for garnish). Spread over the avocado.
- Top with the shredded lettuce
- Season the tomatoes with another teaspoon salt and scatter over the lettuce
- Top with the reserved scallions, cilantro and jalapeno
Serve with your favourite nachos or broken scoops (lol)
Without giving further explanation, the plenary session of the National Assembly left pending the ratification or not of Ana Lucrecia Tovar and Zuleyka Moore as magistrates of the Supreme Court of Justice.
For more than a year, different sectors of civil society have demanded to know the names that appear in the list of those investigated for the payment of bribes by Odebrecht in Panama.
The preliminary hearing in the case known as Caja de Ahorros (CA) was suspended yesterday morning, due to the fact that some of the accused residing abroad have yet to be notified.
José Domingo “Mimito” Arias, has decided to leave the opposition Democratic Change party (CD) and will become a new adherent of the newly created Alianza party.
The removal of badly parked vehicles in the capital city will continue, as reported by the Secretary General of the Transit and Land Transport Authority (ATTT), Allan Castillo.
For those looking for a different way to celebrate Carnival, there will be the XXXVII Great Afro-Caribbean Fair, an event that fuses the best of the Antillean culture with the Panamanian culture.