Tuesday 3rd August 2021.
August 3, 2021
- In the last 24 hours, 8 people died in the country from Covid-19 , reported this Monday, by the Ministry of Health (Minsa) . With these new deaths, the total number of deaths rises to 6,842. In the last hours, 337 new positive cases were registered (positivity 9.3%), for a cumulative total of 436,812. Of this last figure, 417,710 patients recovered. In its epidemiological report, the Minsa highlighted that 1 death from previous dates is updated. Active cases total 12,260. In home isolation, 11,705 are reported, of which 11,363 are at home and 342 in hotels. There are 555 hospitalized and 452 of them are in the ward and 103 are in intensive care units (ICU).
- Some 1,748 positive travelers with the new SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus have been detected at the Tocumen international airport since the air terminal resumed its activities last October. In this same period, 190,710 tests have been carried out.
- The Foreign Minister of Panama, Erika Mouynes, invited the ministers of Foreign Affairs of the countries of the region – which are involved in the growing wave of irregular migration – to a high-level meeting. This, to discuss emergency solutions to this “multidimensional phenomenon that cannot be addressed alone,” The meeting will be held on August 11, reported the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Panama. Those having already confirmed their participation: Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador and Costa Rica.
- The four thematic tables of the dialogue by the Social Security Fund (CSS) stepped on the accelerator to be able to define in the coming days the proposals that will seek to save the country’s public pension system. And is that time that is running out. Joaquín Villar, facilitator of the dialogue, recalled that they have until the beginning of September to have the draft.
- A group of deputies from Cambio Democrático (CD) presented this Monday, August 2, a criminal complaint before the Electoral Prosecutor’s Office and another administrative one in the general secretary of the Tribunal Electoral (TE) for alleged mismanagement of the post-electoral subsidy received by that party, led by Rómulo Roux “Everything indicates that the desperation at this stage of the attempt to take over our party is due to the fact that the plan to violate the law and the statutes of Democratic Change by calling an Extraordinary Convention outside the established period, is not going to work” , stressed the directive. They added that “these political attacks” seek to divide, destroy, weaken and take over Democratic Change with a view to handing it over to “external forces that seek to perpetuate themselves in power,” is an alleged administrative complaint before the Electoral Tribunal, which is reflected in “alleged misrepresented facts, baseless arguments and cowardly threats”.
- With the reading of documentary evidence No. 46, which corresponds to seven booklets, this Monday, August 2, the ninth day of trial that follows former President Ricardo Martinelli for the wiretapping case was restarted . This information is reserved, so access to the media is not allowed. Ricardo González, spokesman for the prosecution, said that the “full” reading of these booklets could take about four weeks. “You have to read all the details on the pages,” he said.
- From this Tuesday, August 3 to Saturday, August 7, 19 international judges will taste and evaluate some 40 samples of the best specialty coffee in Panama, as part of the twenty-fifth version of Best of Panama. The activity is organized by the Association of Specialty Coffee of Panama and serves as a guide for world buyers of the grain. “Every day, before starting the tastings, the international judges will meet, via Zoom, to perform a calibration sample, in order to make sure that everyone is entering in terms of scores in the range that corresponds to each category”, added Peterson .
- Panamanian athlete Gianna Woodruff qualified for the final of the 400 meters hurdles at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games . In the semifinals on Monday, Woodruff finished second in her elimination heat of 400 meters hurdles, with a time of 54 seconds and 22 hundredths. With this record, Woodruff sets a new national record and a new South American record for the distance.