Tuesday 4th May 2021.
May 4, 2021
Today Tuesday, we link up as always with Feisty Foodie Sara in Toronto. But first in the 8 o’clock hour we have a chat with Carey Ann Berends from the foundation Colitas y Narices Invisibles (Invisible Pets). They are doing great work in rescuing, treating and finding homes for dogs that have been left on the street, or pointed out by the public. Also it is imp0rtant that the public get involved in helping but drawing attention to people that miss treat their pets. More information can be found on their Facebook page Colitas y Narices and Instagram #colitasynaricesinvisbles.
Sara is busy today with deserts! She and Ingrid spoke and this is the result, pure indulgence.
No-bake Chocolate Pie
8 ounces softened cream cheese
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 store-bought or homemade chocolate cookie crust
1 cup heavy cream
Shaved chocolate or crushed Oreos, for topping
- Beat the cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the sugar, the cocoa powder, milk and vanilla extract in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Spread in the chocolate cookie crust.
- Beat the heavy cream with the remaining 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a second medium bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, then spread over the cream cheese layer. Top with shaved chocolate or Oreos.
TIP: If you can’t find whipping cream, you can substitute canned whipped cream or Cool Whip
Pots de Crème
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons brandy (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 8 ounces (1 cup) very hot strong coffee
- Dark Chocolate bar, for shaving over
- Brandy Whipped Cream (or canned whipped cream)
While it is blending, remove the circular disk from the blender lid and very slowly pour in the very hot coffee. (It is essential that the coffee be extremely hot in order for the final product to be the right consistency and texture.) Blend until the mixture is smooth and fairly free of visible bits of chocolate, 20 to 30 seconds.
Pour the mixture into 3 large glasses, such as snifters, or 10 demitasse cups, leaving plenty of room to add a heap of whipped cream later. Place in the refrigerator for at least 3 to 4 hours so the mixture has a chance to set.
Before serving, spoon in the Brandy Whipped Cream and decorate with shaved chocolate
Brandy Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon brandy
Add the heavy cream and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whip until it forms soft peaks. Add the brandy and mix in.
Grapefruit honey salad
3 Red grapefruits
2 tbsp honey (clover, if posible)
2 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
Mint for garnish
- Using a sharp chef’s knife, cut away the peel and white parts from grapefruits, then cut between the membranes to remove the segments. Squeeze the membranes over a bowl to extract the juice. (This is called “supreme”)
- In the same bowl, whisk honey and mint into the juice. Arrange the grapefruit segments on a platter and drizzle with the dressing. Garnish with fresh mint
TIP: You could also marinate the segments in the mixture for up to 15 minutes
1 ½ oz 2 oz Vodka
½ tsp pickle juice (more to taste)
- Rim a highball glass with the juice from the lime wedge and a combination of celery salt and salt and fill with ice
- Add the vodka and Clamato juice
- Season with pepper, Worcestershire, ½ tsp pickle juice and Tabasco sauces to taste
- Stir well
- Garnish with a celery stick or olives, lemons, limes or lots of things! Get creative!