Tuesday 5th May 2020. Joining me in the last hour on the phone it is Feisty Foodie Sara.
May 5, 2020
It is you, me and the music for most of this morning. But in the last hour as we do on a Tuesday we link up on the phone with Sara Solomon our Feisty Foodie. We check on how the family is fairing with the continued Lock-Down. Sara’s recipe for this week?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup hot espresso (boiling)
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Place cupcake liners in muffin tin. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling espresso to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter. Batter will look fairly runny.
- Evenly distribute cake batter. Each cupcake liner should be 1/2 full. TIP: DO NOT FILL MORE (or less) THAN ½ (trust me on this one).
- Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- Prepare Buttercream Frosting according to instructions below
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter softened (2 sticks)
- 3 – 4 cups confectioner’s sugar sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch salt
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, or half-and-half
- Place softened butter into the bowl of a stand mixer that has been fitted with the paddle attachment. Turn the mixer on a medium setting and cream the butter until it is smooth and has lightened in color, about 3 minutes.
- Add confectioner’s sugar, 1/2 a cup at a time. After each cup has been incorporated, turn the mixer onto the highest speed setting and for about 10 seconds to lighten the frosting.
- Add vanilla and a pinch of salt and combine until well-incorporated.
- Add milk, heavy cream or half-and-half until the frosting has reached the preferred consistency. For a firmer frosting, add more confectioner’s sugar, a 1/4 cup at a time. For a softer frosting, add more milk or cream, a tablespoon at a time.
- Decorate cooled cupcakes using your favorite cake tip and or sprinkles. You can even separate a few tablespoons of icing and add food coloring.
If you want to make the buttercream frosting ahead, place it into an airtight container and refrigerate. When ready to use, let the frosting come to room temperature, then beat it again with the mixer until fluffy.
The President of the Republic, Laurentino Cortizo, partially vetoed bill 287, which establishes a 90-day moratorium on all mortgage, personal and commercial loans, and passed bill 295, which suspends payments for services for four months electricity, internet, landline and water.
The latest report of the Ministry of Health on the advance of the coronavirus in the country registers 200 deaths and, according to statistics, more than 70% of the cases correspond to people of 60 years of age and older.
Nine days now remain before the date used by the Ministry of Health to project the pandemic scenarios in the country is met, and the number of cases (7,197) means a tendency to reach the worst, of 9,912 cases.
The Electoral Court reported this Monday, May 4, that it extended until May 15 the suspension of all terms in administrative, electoral and jurisdictional processes and procedures.
The Union of Minera Panama Workers reiterated its call to the Government of President Laurentino Cortizo to fulfill their requests in the face of the coronavirus situation, among which stands out the request to continue disinfecting the work areas in order to return to work.