Tuesday 8th May 2018. Animal cruelty law & Feisty Foodie Sara.
May 8, 2018
Last time we talked to Karina Bazan it was to discuss the work that was being undertaken to try to get a law passed to penalize cruelty to animals. Well that is history as the law is now in place, not just for the likes of domestic cruelty but in Panama it is now against the law to use animals for testing, which makes Panama a leader in animal protection. (check out the full law here)
After a week off due to the May Day holiday we have Feisty Foodie Sara Solomon with us. The topic is easy recipes for Mothers Day. Check out the following (after the news segment below) to make the day special. (Mothers Day in Panama though is celebrated on the 8th of December).
Uruguay and Panama yesterday signed an agreement in Montevideo that will allow the exchange of tax and financial information between both countries, as well as the removal of each of them from their respective lists of nations that did not promote transparency.
The former Minister of Social Development (Mides) and her former security agents are waiting for the verdict of the judge in the Gucci case, this after the hearing on the merits that began at 10:00 am on yesterday. The judge has to corroborate the evidence presented by both parties to make a decision.
The lawyer Sebastián Rodríguez, who was a magistrate of the Third Superior Court of Justice, was the first of the candidates for the post of Judge of the Supreme Court of Justice to be interviewed yesterday by the State Commission for Justice.
The Regional Office of the Ombudsman in Veraguas managed the transfer of the teacher Adolfo Bejerano, from the corregimiento of Mununi No3, Comarca Ngäbe Buglé, to the Hospital Luis “Chicho” Fábrega, due to the teacher being in a delicate state of health.
The main offices of the Transit and Land Transportation Authority (ATTT), located in the commercial plaza Los Pueblos , awoke to floods on Monday morning.
Big data , hotel and kitchen, robotics, aviation, mechanical engineering, masters in communication and law and studies related to health and sports, were the most sought after careers by students at the fair Edúcate 2018
Mother’s Day is this Sunday, so try these easy recipes and let mom sleep in!
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Frittata
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces smoked salmon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Serving suggestion: Crispy potatoes and mesclun salad
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, dill, salt, pepper, and chives together in a bowl. Using two spoons or your fingers, separate the cream cheese into small clumps. Fold the cream cheese and salmon into the egg mixture. Make sure everything is well combined.
- Heat the oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Pour the egg mixture into the skillet, and stir lightly to make sure the fillings are evenly arranged in the pan. Cook until the bottom is set, but not brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the top is set, about 8 minutes. Remove from the oven, cover, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Invert the frittata (if you can) onto a large plate. If you can’t invert it, run a spatula around the sides and loosen the bottom to slide it out. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature
TIP: You can substitute mostly any meat or cheese, try ham and swiss or bacon and Cheddar! You can also swap out the herbs for chives or basil.
Egg in a Hole – This is one of my favourites! Fast and fun!
Pan de huevo
Shot glass (to cut the hole out)
Salt and pepper
- Cut the center out of the bread
- Fry the bread and holes in butter on a griddle or in a pan
- Crack eggs into separate bowls
- Once the bread is nicely toasted, flip it over and add another touch of butter in the hole
- Drop the eggs into the center – s & p
- Flip after about 45 seconds while the yellow is soft and the white is cooked
- Cook on the other side about 30 seconds, serve with the buttery, toasted holes
TIP: My kids love extra holes, so cut a 2 extra pieces of bread. Or use a heart or flower shaped cookie cutter!
Scrambled Egg and Sausage Muffins (carb free / Keto approved)
- 1/2 pound bulk sausage
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and stir in sausage; cook and stir until sausage is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes; drain.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Stir in onion, green pepper, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix in sausage and Cheddar cheese. Spoon by 1/3 cupfuls into muffin cups.
Easy Bacon method for Feeding a Crowd: In the Oven
Make this your go-to method when you need bacon for a big group and don’t want to bother making multiple batches. Plus, there’s no turning and cleanup is simple.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, and lay out as many bacon strips as will fit snuggly without overlapping.
- Place in a cold oven. Then heat the oven to 400 degrees F and bake to desired crispness, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Drain well on a paper-towel-lined platter.
Try the Microwave, if you’re using the oven
When you need only a few pieces of bacon for a burger or BLT, this is a quick and easy way to go.
- Line a microwave-safe plate with 2 layers of paper towels.
- Lay out the bacon strips without overlapping. Cover with 2 more paper towels.
- Cook in the microwave on high to desired crispness, 4 to 6 minutes. Since the strips cook on paper towels, no draining is necessary.
- Use a dry sparkling wine, not sweet, try a Cava or dry Prosecco
- Equal parts
- Top with Grand Marnier or triple sec
- Make sure both the wine and the OJ are chilled